Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kick Them While They're Down

Just as we begin to mentally adjust to the loss of LJ for the season, we get a kick to the midsection with the threat of season ending surgery for Swin Cash.

Yes, I chose the word "threat" on purpose. Cash is developing a reputation for being a difficult personality. She clashed publicly with Detroit Shock coach Bill Lambier last year, and her choice to skip practice during the break to pursue a broadcasting opportunity may have irked Coach Brian Agler. I want to assume the best of Cash, but I have to question why she and her agent are talking about potential surgery right now. It seems to calculated and conveniant to be just a coincidence. I hope it is not some type of childish pouting meant to penalize Agler for sharing her fines and benching with the media. I do not doubt her back injury, her sporadic play makes a lot of sense for a person with this type of injury, but why go public with this when she is planning to play this week? Why is her agent talking at all? I am thus forced to question the motivations of this behavior.

No comments: