Monday, April 23, 2007

Ruth Riley Blog

I just stumbled on Ruth Riley's blog on WNBA.com. I haven't been keeping up with things basketball as much lately as I have in the past, but the official player blogs tend to be things I avoid. They have a trend of being shallow and uniteresting, more of a checked off required task item than a real shared moment from the player's life.

Ruth's blog is an exception. She is taking the time to share a piece of herself in a real way, covering issues that matter to her, from Malaria in Africa to her own trade to San Antonio, to religion and politics as experienced on a recent trip to Israel.

I have never paid much attention to Ruth as a player. I felt like she has regressed from that first championship year in Detroit over the past three years and never lived up to what looked like a promising career in the WNBA. I have much more respect for her as a person, however, after reading the shared moments she has included in her blog. I see exactly the kind of role model the WNBA wants in front of kids in the Ruth of the blog. I don't have to agree with everything she writes, but I certainly will view her in a different and positive way after having read her blog. Give it a shot.

No comments: